Sunday 16 August 2009

A Week off and no train pain

So I had hoped for a trip to Devon for the Salcombe fireworks but my friend's car had an unexpected appointment with the garage so plans changed however the consistently great thing about my week off from London PAYE employment was that I didn't step onto a train once.

It was a week of gardening, politics, Lincoln, Dentist, ale some more ale, white wine, new chickens (although I had no idea chickens would be racist), the midlands to see an old school chum and have a curry, boot sale action and lots of riding around on my scooter.

Nipping around on the scooter is bliss, there's a real sense of connection with the earth because at every moment you are inches away from it with your skin as protection....

Now then as I wind down and prepare for the gauntlet that is London and the trains for next week I've stumbled across some intel......In Europe there are some 3480 miles of high speed train track (Will Hutton, The Observer) with another 2160 in the pipeline - this track enables trains to travel at 150mph + - so what of Britain's high speed track you ask, well its a pathetic 68 miles (from St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel). What a joke.

No comments: