Thursday 27 August 2009

The Madness of the Rush

I was on the latest train I could be this to get to work on time without offending management however a broken down train at Marks Tey had caused serious delays and our train was delayed by forty minutes. Not ideal and so not to offend my colleagues I got on the tube rather than taking my usual leisurely 24 minute stroll.... in doing so tho I wouldn't say I rushed as this can go terribly wrong....

The other night I hit Liverpool Street at 6:45pm. Movements weren't abnormal but I noticed a women on the floor, slowly rising, her face was covered in blood. Some PCSO's and a member of the public were giving her tissue to wipe her face but she was clearly in distress. I stopped for a few moments and had heroic visions of ripping off my (incredibly sweaty) 100% cotton Debenhams shirt but a las I spared Liverpool Street the sight and realised my help wasn't needed and made my way to the train.

I wasn't quite sure what had happened but the assumption was the lady had fallen through rushing to get a train whilst wearing slightly inappropriate _extreme_ high heel shoes. Obviously I could be wrong but it was a credible guess. This single event remained in my mind for the entirety of my journey and when I arrived in Colchester the sensation of the rush continued as there was a tense stand off between me and someone else wanting to be the first to get off the train.

I'm beginning to question all of this rushing.....for we live in a world where many tasks can be undertaken remotely why do we force ourselves to compete in the rush. Another rush is the rush to get to the front of the shop queue. Such terrible atmospheres are created by the frustrated 'huff and puffer'......

Its not just getting to work where you experience the rush tho, there is now a horrid culture of rush with email communications:

"high priority"
"please advise asap"
"when will this be ready"
"I need this done today"

All credible questions but do we really need to rush...the stone masons who built lincoln cathedral probably didnt

No comments: