Thursday 6 August 2009

east anglian strike

currently sat on a national express train to lincoln. Despite the distance ill be there in just under 2 hours-impressive. Liverpool street was very empty this morning,unlike my train when it hit chelmsford. Ouch it was a sweat fest, and the heat and sunglasses combo sent me to sleep at the expense of the lady sitting next to me. I did apologise for my sweating head hitting her shoulder-still wasnt the ideal ice breaker. The strike is undoubtedly disruptive and their union isnt communicating its messages clearly. I have no doubt that the conditions the staff work in our dire,ive seen for myself on several occassions the abuse they have to endure from ticket dodgers however is national express the devil or is it rail track or is it the government. What is for certain is that average train driver salaries arent that bad and in these leaner times its not exactly a career hugely at risk? Ofcourse the other thing which is clear is that the country's entire network needs sorting out with faster more reliable trains.

No comments: