Wednesday 11 June 2008

One final journey and my week of trains is over

Wednesday 11th June 2008

Following a short interview on BBC Radio Essex about the current situation I made my way to the station.  It was possible to get a standing position on a train at 07:25am.  Obviously the journey slightly overran, I felt sorry for the guys who couldn’t get on at Chelmsford – you couldn’t have had anyone more packed onto that train.

Mid PM – a friend advises of more difficulties following an accident with two engineers.  17:51 just wrapping up at work and fighting to get out and get home in time for a nice glass of St Emilion, feet up in front of the Apprentice and then pack for the Isle of Wight Festival.  Thank god I won’t have to endure any more train journey’s this week. 

Tuesday 10th June 2008

A video shoot in Reading starting at 9am meant I took the radical move to request a taxi from Colchester to London this morning.  This meant a 5:15am pick up, as pleasant as the journey was I wasn’t able to get much sleep as I was buzzing about the day ahead – shooting an internet viral featuring Melinda Messenger!

Having let local media aware of my new blog I took a call today from SGR Radio (North Essex/Suffolk) where we conducted a pre recorded interview on why I had set up the blog and outlining my basic frustrations with our nation’s train services.  I also had an email from BBC Suffolk and arranged a 06:40 interview for tomorrow.

We wrapped our filming at 5ish and I jumped on a tube to get to Liverpool street in the vain hope of getting the usual 19:00 to Norwich via Ipswich, the idea being I would arrive in Ipswich and be able to play football with my friends starting at 21:00.

The 19:00 was cancelled but what joy when I saw an additional service had been put on for 19:08 going (via many stations) to Ipswich. The clock ticked and before I knew it we had exceeded our departure time. A number of passenger’s went to enquire with a chap on the platform who was no doubt repeating the same response to each of them in turn (maybe a megaphone might have helped?).  19:15 and all was revealed, the train was cancelled as they didn’t “have a driver” – in frustration I saw a middle aged man in first class bang his fist against the wall of the carriage.  A mini stampede ensued towards a neighbouring platform where a 19:30 train to Norwich was set to run. I boarded first class and took a seat.  Given I didn’t have a first class ticket this isn’t a moral decision I’m comfortable with but I guess at the time survival of the fittest human instincts kicked in – atleast I can take comfort in persuading the young mum not to fight her way through first class and beyond with a buggy and to sit opposite me, despite her lack of a legitimate ticket also. 

20:05 slowly we set off arriving in Ipswich at gone 21:00, I’m late for football, will be late for bed and no doubt the trains will be late tomorrow.


No comments: