Tuesday 1 December 2009

a broken camera, a broken train, a women with child and some shrubs

the day began just after 6am waiting for a train at colchester, having beaten my slovak lodger to the shower. Despite my north face it was freezing but i found a seat on the train, put my hood up and nodded off. Upon waking in liverpool street my face was dripping in sweat- embarrasingly so. I had to be in covent garden via the office just after 8am to be the producer/cameraman on a wrap pr stunt shoot. Id shot nearly all the gv's i needed and we were about to do an interview when i got an error code. I thought it might be a tape issue but it wasnt so i put a call into a former colleague now with an edit suite on covent garden-turns out he had a camera on him so within minutes i was back in the game. Upon wrap i headed back to the markettiers studios to brief the editor, i then had a live webchat, some admin and about fourteen thousand emails to deal with. I had hoped to leave the office uba early but in the end just managed to get on the 18.20 train. I only just made it and had to run with 6 pyracantha shrubs with me. Boarding first class i sat down on the floor just by the standard/first class border. All was good until somewhere around kelvedon where the train came to an abrupt holt. There was a faulty train in the marks tey area bummer there was my leftover microwaved curry out the window. Having not had any lunch i was in pain and shared my plight with a mature lady whom had clocked my distress. We had some banter and found a mutual frustration with browns broken britain. Our attention was soon drawn to the plight of a rather large young lady who appeared to have stomach pains. Turned out she was heavily pregnant and dramatically the senior conductor was asking if there was a nurse or doctor on board. I was feet away from the lady of the moment but thankfully a nurse and a doctor had come to the rescue. The young lady laid down on the floor of first class, i got out of the way and did a little kirstie and phil to join my mature female friend a few seats away from the action. I could hear snippets of the doctor advising the pregnant women- it appeared it could be a trapped nerve but the good news was the baby wasnt coming out. All of this was a welcomed distraction from the fact the train was an hour late, we did an unscheduled stop at kelvedon and an ambulance took the lass to a hospital. One does fear what would happen in a crisis with no first aiders on board, it suprises me were even allowed to stand up/sit on train floors in todays health and safety obsessed britain. The day was almost at a close and thankfully my child birth delivery skills were not required.

No comments: